Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Consumer Goods , Basic Materials and Financials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 2.15% or 2.37 points to trade at 112.77 at the close. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) added 1.68% or 1.43 points to end at 86.60 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.44% or 3.13 points to 220.79 in late trade.
Biggest losers included DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which lost 2.14% or 1.49 points to trade at 68.20 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 2.07% or 4.40 points to end at 207.99 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 1.81% or 1.55 points to 84.27.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Edwards Lifesciences Corporation (NYSE: EW ) which rose 7.67% to 165.47, Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which was up 5.34% to settle at 128.51 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which gained 5.18% to close at 4.670.
The worst performers were Michael Kors Holdings Limited (NYSE: KORS ) which was down 8.23% to 66.71 in late trade, Newell Brands Inc (NYSE: NWL ) which lost 6.36% to settle at 20.45 and Comcast Corp (NASDAQ: CMCSA ) which was down 5.99% to 35.63 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Amarin Corporation PLC (NASDAQ: AMRN ) which rose 314.72% to 12.400, SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which was up 284.34% to settle at 28.710 and TMSR Holding Company Ltd (NASDAQ: TMSR ) which gained 65.00% to close at 3.30.
The worst performers were Altimmune Inc (NASDAQ: ALT ) which was down 46.93% to 13.900 in late trade, Astrotech Corp (NASDAQ: ASTC ) which lost 40.43% to settle at 3.330 and Cool Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AWSM ) which was down 36.37% to 12.090 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2078 to 989 and 101 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1541 fell and 1071 advanced, while 101 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.62% to 12.22.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.16% or 1.90 to $1203.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 2.03% or 1.44 to hit $72.22 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 3.17% or 2.48 to trade at $80.72 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1751, while USD/JPY rose 0.16% to 112.78.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 93.83.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.