Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Industrials and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Telecoms and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which rose 1.68% or 2.28 points to trade at 137.80 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.22% or 4.34 points to end at 359.80 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 0.93% or 1.08 points to 117.38 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 1.27% or 1.41 points to trade at 109.26 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 1.14% or 2.57 points to end at 223.84 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 0.96% or 1.56 points to 160.84.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 7.35% to 32.720, L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which was up 5.58% to settle at 28.97 and Principal Financial Group Inc (NASDAQ: PFG ) which gained 3.83% to close at 56.94.
The worst performers were NiSource Inc (NYSE: NI ) which was down 11.72% to 24.79 in late trade, Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which lost 3.56% to settle at 18.96 and Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which was down 3.32% to 17.740 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were My Size Inc (NASDAQ: MYSZ ) which rose 28.57% to 1.35, Champions Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: CSBR ) which was up 24.76% to settle at 10.5800 and Kandi Technologies Group Inc (NASDAQ: KNDI ) which gained 23.38% to close at 4.750.
The worst performers were Altimmune Inc (NASDAQ: ALT ) which was down 27.34% to 5.450 in late trade, Vital Thera (NASDAQ: VTL ) which lost 29.75% to settle at 0.35 and Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which was down 25.36% to 0.36 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1514 to 1507 and 141 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1341 rose and 1217 declined, while 156 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.18% to 12.10.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.76% or 9.20 to $1199.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.51% or 0.35 to hit $68.94 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.12% or 0.09 to trade at $78.09 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.54% to 1.1627, while USD/JPY rose 0.06% to 111.99.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.42% at 94.93.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.