Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Financials , Telecoms and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Consumer Goods and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc (NYSE: V ), which rose 1.13% or 1.73 points to trade at 154.20 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 1.11% or 2.02 points to end at 183.73 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 1.09% or 0.94 points to 86.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 1.95% or 0.82 points to trade at 41.19 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 1.71% or 0.93 points to end at 53.44 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) shed 1.56% or 0.87 points to 55.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which rose 4.98% to 22.99, KKR & Co LP (F: KR51 ) which was up 4.58% to settle at 21.24 and Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which gained 3.59% to close at 176.53.
The worst performers were Dollar General Corporation (NYSE: DG ) which was down 7.49% to 111.64 in late trade, L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which lost 3.14% to settle at 26.23 and Assurant Inc (NYSE: AIZ ) which was down 3.04% to 98.20 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Atossa Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: ATOS ) which rose 368.21% to 7.0700, Oxbridge Re Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: OXBR ) which was up 54.17% to settle at 1.48 and Ritter Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RTTR ) which gained 40.53% to close at 1.199.
The worst performers were Legacy Reserves Inc (NASDAQ: LGCY ) which was down 58.13% to 0.58 in late trade, FTD Companies Inc (NASDAQ: FTD ) which lost 22.70% to settle at 1.26 and CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: CHFS ) which was down 21.57% to 3.490 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1623 to 1363 and 111 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1448 fell and 1163 advanced, while 101 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.67% to 13.50.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.03% or 13.55 to $1295.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.41% or 0.24 to hit $58.50 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.59% or 0.40 to trade at $67.15 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.21% to 1.1301, while USD/JPY rose 0.49% to 111.69.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.26% at 96.765.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.