Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Consumer Goods , Consumer Services and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Technology , Basic Materials and Financials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 2.29% or 8.29 points to trade at 370.46 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 1.24% or 1.61 points to end at 131.38 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 0.54% or 0.32 points to 60.08 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.21% or 2.31 points to trade at 188.74 in late trade. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) declined 1.21% or 0.65 points to end at 53.27 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 1.15% or 0.72 points to 61.69.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Viacom B Inc (NASDAQ: VIAB ) which rose 3.87% to 26.32, Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which was up 3.57% to settle at 49.55 and ConAgra Foods Inc (NYSE: CAG ) which gained 3.44% to close at 27.36.
The worst performers were Pacific Gas & Electric Co (NYSE: PCG ) which was down 6.23% to 18.21 in late trade, Akamai Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AKAM ) which lost 2.96% to settle at 69.12 and Patterson Companies Inc (NASDAQ: PDCO ) which was down 2.92% to 21.63 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Hunter Maritime Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: HUNT ) which rose 96.90% to 18.41, NantKwest Inc (NASDAQ: NK ) which was up 32.54% to settle at 1.67 and Curis Inc (NASDAQ: CRIS ) which gained 32.17% to close at 1.890.
The worst performers were Proteostasis Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTI ) which was down 67.81% to 1.31 in late trade, PHI Inc (NASDAQ: PHIIK ) which lost 37.86% to settle at 0.64 and Recro Pharm (NASDAQ: REPH ) which was down 33.85% to 6.41 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1530 to 1431 and 138 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1381 rose and 1249 declined, while 98 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.91% to 16.33.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.74% or 9.75 to $1328.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.07% or 0.04 to hit $59.00 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.15% or 0.10 to trade at $66.85 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1314, while USD/JPY rose 0.10% to 110.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.12% at 96.035.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.