Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Financials , Utilities and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 3.98% or 4.58 points to trade at 119.76 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.10% or 1.73 points to end at 159.66 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.05% or 2.47 points to 238.78 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.63% or 2.63 points to trade at 158.63 in late trade. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 1.55% or 1.24 points to end at 78.88 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 0.98% or 0.35 points to 35.19.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were XL Group Ltd (NYSE: XL ) which rose 5.84% to 38.61, Chubb Ltd (NYSE: CB ) which was up 4.43% to settle at 140.85 and AbbVie Inc (NYSE: ABBV ) which gained 4.35% to close at 85.340.
The worst performers were Equifax Inc (NYSE: EFX ) which was down 13.66% to 123.23 in late trade, Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which lost 7.51% to settle at 21.06 and Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which was down 7.43% to 16.58 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Oncobiologics Inc (NASDAQ: ONS ) which rose 124.44% to 2.02, Kura Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: KURA ) which was up 72.26% to settle at 11.800 and Eleven Biotherapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: EBIO ) which gained 38.66% to close at 1.6500.
The worst performers were Tintri Inc (NASDAQ: TNTR ) which was down 31.89% to 4.55 in late trade, Citius Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CTXR ) which lost 19.35% to settle at 3.250 and Lifevantage Corporation (NASDAQ: LFVN ) which was down 19.33% to 3.880 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1678 to 1413 and 143 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1246 rose and 1223 declined, while 173 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.54% to 12.19.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.12% or 1.57 to $1351.87 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 3.14% or 1.54 to hit $47.55 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 1.39% or 0.76 to trade at $53.73 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.11% to 1.2035, while USD/JPY fell 0.61% to 107.79.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.23% at 91.28.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.