Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Utilities , Technology and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Oil & Gas and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which rose 1.00% or 1.19 points to trade at 119.76 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 0.94% or 2.07 points to end at 222.77 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 0.82% or 1.13 points to 138.52 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 1.02% or 0.49 points to trade at 47.51 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 0.83% or 1.10 points to end at 131.07 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.82% or 1.91 points to 230.61.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were KLA-Tencor Corporation (NASDAQ: KLAC ) which rose 3.53% to 157.98, Comerica Inc (NYSE: CMA ) which was up 2.20% to settle at 66.92 and SVB Financial Group (NASDAQ: SIVB ) which gained 2.07% to close at 217.85.
The worst performers were FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX ) which was down 12.92% to 150.91 in late trade, Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which lost 4.50% to settle at 102.98 and Noble Energy Inc (NYSE: NBL ) which was down 3.39% to 24.24 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were SPI Energy Co Ltd (NASDAQ: SPI ) which rose 66.37% to 3.76, Guardion Health Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GHSI ) which was up 36.14% to settle at 0.6400 and Huttig Building (NASDAQ: HBP ) which gained 32.63% to close at 2.520.
The worst performers were Silver Run Acquisition Corporation II (NASDAQ: AMR ) which was down 30.13% to 0.08 in late trade, Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which lost 25.00% to settle at 15.00 and Zynerba Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ZYNE ) which was down 21.77% to 8.84 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1643 to 1289 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1609 fell and 1048 advanced, while 94 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.39% to 13.95.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.79% or 11.90 to $1501.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 1.54% or 0.91 to hit $58.19 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.08% or 0.05 to trade at $63.68 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1033, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 108.42.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.31% at 98.127.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.