Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Telecoms sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Healthcare , Utilities and Industrials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 5.76% or 3.03 points to trade at 55.59 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 3.71% or 4.55 points to end at 127.25 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 2.80% or 1.21 points to 44.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 3.58% or 3.10 points to trade at 83.47 in late trade. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) declined 2.26% or 4.19 points to end at 181.55 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 1.84% or 2.79 points to 149.23.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which rose 8.56% to 41.72, National Oilwell Varco Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which was up 8.07% to settle at 23.96 and L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which gained 6.94% to close at 17.87.
The worst performers were MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 11.85% to 369.69 in late trade, IDEXX Laboratories Inc (NASDAQ: IDXX ) which lost 7.37% to settle at 267.20 and Roper Technologies Inc (NYSE: ROP ) which was down 4.80% to 356.96 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ACAD ) which rose 63.24% to 38.850, FuelCell Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FCEL ) which was up 60.16% to settle at 0.640 and Changyoucom Limited (NASDAQ: CYOU ) which gained 49.32% to close at 8.84.
The worst performers were Neurotrope Inc (NASDAQ: NTRP ) which was down 77.27% to 1.0000 in late trade, Freds Inc (NASDAQ: FRED ) which lost 49.47% to settle at 0.12 and Synthesis Energy Systems Inc (NASDAQ: SES ) which was down 26.75% to 2.3805 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1853 to 1117 and 64 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1652 rose and 1024 declined, while 75 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.80% to 15.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.56% or 8.45 to $1507.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 2.71% or 1.53 to hit $58.05 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $62.67 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1047, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 107.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.08% at 98.287.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.