Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Oil & Gas and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Consumer Goods and Technology sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.62% or 1.23 points to trade at 48.20 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 2.00% or 4.59 points to end at 233.61 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 1.97% or 2.32 points to 120.23 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.94% or 4.33 points to trade at 218.75 in late trade. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) declined 1.34% or 1.99 points to end at 146.31 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 1.10% or 2.34 points to 209.81.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which rose 8.21% to 47.95, Pioneer Natural Resources Co (NYSE: PXD ) which was up 3.90% to settle at 135.43 and Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which gained 3.76% to close at 10.76.
The worst performers were Progressive Corp (NYSE: PGR ) which was down 5.59% to 72.68 in late trade, CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which lost 4.66% to settle at 12.90 and MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 4.30% to 330.29 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which rose 104.64% to 16.98, Fibrocell Science Inc (NASDAQ: FCSC ) which was up 59.56% to settle at 2.920 and Francescas Holdings (NASDAQ: FRAN ) which gained 28.47% to close at 18.14.
The worst performers were Ritter Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RTTR ) which was down 70.00% to 0.324 in late trade, Energy Focu (NASDAQ: EFOI ) which lost 21.27% to settle at 0.43 and Alpine Immune Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: ALPN ) which was down 21.63% to 3.840 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1544 to 1416 and 76 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1473 rose and 1177 declined, while 104 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.38% to 13.74 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.76% or 11.40 to $1496.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.45% or 0.25 to hit $54.84 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.38% or 0.23 to trade at $60.15 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.13% to 1.1075, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 108.08.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.11% at 98.198.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.