Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Consumer Services , Telecoms and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc (NYSE: V ), which rose 3.81% or 5.14 points to trade at 140.15 at the close. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) added 3.60% or 2.64 points to end at 75.92 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 3.42% or 1.61 points to 48.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 2.06% or 1.97 points to trade at 93.86 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 1.69% or 2.25 points to end at 130.91 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 1.58% or 1.65 points to 102.78.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC ) which rose 8.99% to 22.91, FMC Corporation (NYSE: FMC ) which was up 7.56% to settle at 85.83 and Aon PLC (NYSE: AON ) which gained 7.19% to close at 167.46.
The worst performers were Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN ) which was down 5.38% to 1626.23 in late trade, WestRock Co (NYSE: WRK ) which lost 4.94% to settle at 38.70 and IDEXX Laboratories Inc (NASDAQ: IDXX ) which was down 3.48% to 205.38 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were TMSR Holding Company Ltd (NASDAQ: TMSR ) which rose 122.58% to 5.52, Integrated Media Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: IMTE ) which was up 36.59% to settle at 8.40 and Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTNP ) which gained 34.15% to close at 1.6500.
The worst performers were Magnegas Applied Technology Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: MNGA ) which was down 28.02% to 2.990 in late trade, OncoSec Medical Inc (NASDAQ: ONCS ) which lost 24.99% to settle at 0.660 and Leap Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LPTX ) which was down 23.08% to 1.50 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1708 to 1304 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1534 rose and 1094 declined, while 92 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.60% to 16.14 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.20% or 2.65 to $1322.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 2.88% or 1.55 to hit $55.34 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 3.34% or 2.03 to trade at $62.87 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.12% to 1.1458, while USD/JPY rose 0.56% to 109.48.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.00% at 95.300.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
NFP - USD will be weakLike 0