Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Basic Materials and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Consumer Goods , Consumer Services and Financials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 4.21% or 1.87 points to trade at 46.32 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.99% or 10.71 points to end at 369.49 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 2.39% or 3.04 points to 130.29 in late trade.
Biggest losers included McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which lost 3.49% or 7.58 points to trade at 209.68 in late trade. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) declined 2.86% or 5.20 points to end at 176.35 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 2.19% or 3.04 points to 135.79.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which rose 11.48% to 19.91, State Street Corp (NYSE: STT ) which was up 8.96% to settle at 58.84 and Quanta Services Inc (NYSE: PWR ) which gained 7.89% to close at 38.27.
The worst performers were MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 7.47% to 342.06 in late trade, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (NYSE: CMG ) which lost 6.15% to settle at 787.98 and CME Group Inc (NASDAQ: CME ) which was down 4.71% to 205.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Francescas Holdings (NASDAQ: FRAN ) which rose 101.55% to 10.40, 111 Inc (NASDAQ: YI ) which was up 62.01% to settle at 4.99 and YRC Worldwide Inc (NASDAQ: YRCW ) which gained 34.11% to close at 3.46.
The worst performers were Sonim Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SONM ) which was down 46.74% to 3.76 in late trade, MYnd Analytics Inc (NASDAQ: EMMA ) which lost 38.31% to settle at 2.77 and FuelCell Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FCEL ) which was down 33.83% to 0.423 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1794 to 1145 and 100 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1779 rose and 875 declined, while 78 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.46% to 15.20.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.16% or 17.50 to $1493.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.10% or 0.06 to hit $57.91 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.08% or 0.05 to trade at $62.72 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1043, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 107.53.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.00% at 98.252.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.