(For a live blog on the U.S. stock market, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window.)
* Symantec up as Broadcom in talks to buy its unit- report
* AMD up on landing Alphabet, Twitter as customers
* Lyft rises after raising FY forecast; boosts Uber
* CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL ) down after revenue misses estimates
* Indexes up: Dow 0.32%, S&P 0.58%, Nasdaq 0.63% (Updates to open)
By Medha Singh
Aug 8 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rose on Thursday as better-than-expected domestic and Chinese data as well as a steadying yuan offered some comfort to investors rattled by an escalation in trade tensions.
However, the consumer staples sector .SPLRCS came under pressure after Kraft Heinz Co KHC.O shares tumbled 15% as the packaged food maker pulled its full-year forecast and wrote down the value of several business units by over $1 billion.
Markets have been roiled this week on worries of an escalating trade war after a slide in yuan on Monday was perceived as China's retaliation to President Donald Trump's latest threat of imposing a fresh round of tariffs on Chinese imports.
The yuan regained some ground on Thursday as China's central bank set its official midpoint firmer than market expectations, signaling an intent to stabilize a decline in the currency. Exports from the world's second-largest economy posted a surprise rise, while imports fell less than forecast. CNY/ data also pointed to a robust labor market as the number of Americans filing applications for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, allaying some worries about a recession and helping U.S. Treasury yields rise. US/
"It's (data) very reassuring for investors because that shows the economics of the world aren't degrading rapidly," said Kim Forrest, chief investment officer at Bokeh Capital Partners in Pittsburgh.
The benchmark S&P 500 .SPX index is looking at its third day of gains but still stands about 4.4% away from its record closing high hit last month.
At 9:44 a.m. ET, the Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI was up 83.38 points, or 0.32%, at 26,090.45, the S&P 500 was up 16.82 points, or 0.58%, at 2,900.80. The Nasdaq Composite .IXIC was up 49.73 points, or 0.63%, at 7,912.56.
Symantec Corp SYMC.O shares jumped 9.4% after sources said chipmaker Broadcom Inc AVGO.O was in advanced talks to buy the cybersecurity company's enterprise business. Micro Devices Inc AMD.O gained 9.8% after the chipmaker launched its second generation of its processor chip for data centers and said that it had landed Alphabet Inc's GOOGL.O Google and Twitter Inc TWTR.N as customers. and AMD were the best performing stocks on the S&P 500.
Lyft Inc LYFT.O advanced 4.3% after the ride hailing service raised its outlook for the year and forecast a faster path to profitability. Rival Uber Technologies Inc UBER.N , due to report quarterly results after the bell, rose 4.2%. of Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS ) Co DIS.N rose 1.6% after Credit Suisse (SIX: CSGN ) upgraded its shares to "outperform" on positive investor sentiment as its video streaming service Disney+ closes in on its U.S. launch.
Advancing issues outnumbered decliners by a 3.23-to-1 ratio on the NYSE and by a 3.03-to-1 ratio on the Nasdaq.
The S&P index recorded nine new 52-week highs and two new lows, while the Nasdaq recorded 31 new highs and 35 new lows.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.