* Bank stocks gain ahead of Fed decision
* Housing stocks tumble after D.R. Horton results
* Wynn Resorts pulls down other casino operators on Macau warning
* Dow up 0.20 pct, S&P down 0.09 pct, Nasdaq off 0.34 pct
(Chnages comment, adds details, updates prices)
By Sruthi Shankar
Nov 8 (Reuters) - The S&P 500 and the Nasdaq edged lower on Thursday, as weak earnings reports and caution ahead of the Federal Reserve's interest rate decision stalled a rally from the previous session, which was spurred by the outcome for midterm elections.
Qualcomm Inc QCOM.O dropped 7.1 percent after the chipmaker forecast sales revenue for the holiday quarter below analysts' estimates, as it took a hit from the loss of chip sales to Apple Inc AAPL.O . stocks .SPLRCT , that rallied the most on Wednesday, dipped 0.4 percent.
The S&P banking index .SPXBK was up 0.9 percent, with Bank of America Corp (NYSE: BAC ) BAC.N rising 1.8 percent and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) JPM.N gaining 1 percent ahead of the Fed decision.
Financials were among the few gainers, with the broader market dipping after a 2 percent surge on Wednesday as investors braced for a political gridlock in Washington.
"The market is going to go into a trading range for a while...(yesterday) was relief that there wouldn't be any severe economic changes for the next couple of years," said Bruce Bittles, chief investment strategist at Robert W. Baird & Co in Sarasota, Florida.
"The Fed may give some indication of what they're going to do in December, that might be holding the market back."
The U.S. central bank, which is set to release its rate decision at 2:00 pm ET, is expected to leave interest rates unchanged, but the statement that follows could lay the ground for a fourth rate hike in December as well as next year.
At 11:39 a.m. EDT the Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI was up 51.07 points, or 0.20 percent, at 26,231.37, the S&P 500 .SPX was down 2.56 points, or 0.09 percent, at 2,811.33 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC was down 25.53 points, or 0.34 percent, at 7,545.23.
Wynn Resorts fell 12.1 percent after the casino operator missed third-quarter profit estimate and warned of a slowdown in the key Macau market. That hit shares of peers Melco Resorts MLCO.O and MGM Resorts MGM.N Horton DHI.N fell 6.2 percent and dragged on other homebuilders after it warned of rising home prices and higher mortgage rates weighing on demand. The PHLX Housing index .HGX fell 1.8 percent.
Perrigo Co PRGO.N plunged 14.9 percent after the generic drugmaker cut full-year earnings forecast on lowered expectations from its prescription pharmaceuticals. top gainer on the S&P 500 was TripAdvisor Inc TRIP.O , which jumped 15.6 percent after the hotel search website reported better-than-expected third-quarter profit. issues outnumbered advancers for a 1.19-to-1 ratio on the NYSE and for a 1.12-to-1 ratio on the Nasdaq.
The S&P index recorded 33 new 52-week highs and two new lows, while the Nasdaq recorded 63 new highs and 58 new lows.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.