By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com -- The Dow closed higher Monday, as a rise in energy stocks and a rally in Apple helped the broader market start the week on the front foot, a day ahead of an inflation report expected to show that price pressures are cooling.
Following a strong end to the week, technology added to recent gains as Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL ) rallied almost 4%.
Apple launched a slew of new products last week including its latest iPhones that some say are seeing more pre-order demand than the iPhones 13 did when they rolled out last year.
“So far demand and orders for iPhone 14 are tracking slightly ahead of iPhone 13 and are tracking ahead of our expectations out of the gates,” Wedbush said in a note.
Semiconductor stocks ended the day in the green after recovering losses following reports the U.S. government is drawing up plans to impose fresh restrictions on chip exports to China.
Twitter (NYSE: TWTR ), meanwhile, said an alleged payment of about $7.7 million to a whistleblower didn’t violate the terms of its deal with Elon Musk, who made a third attempt to abandon his plan to buy the social media company. The stock closed nearly 2% lower.
The update arrived just a day ahead of a Twitter shareholder vote on whether to approve or reject Musk’s takeover offer.
Energy climbed more than 1%, riding on the coattails of rising oil prices as investors weighed up potential supply distributions after the Iran nuclear deal hit a snag, and Europe's embargo on Russian oil is set to begin on Dec. 5.
The move higher in the broader market comes ahead of an inflation report that economists’ forecast shows further slowing headline inflation , driven by lower oil prices.
But core inflation , which excludes food and energy, is expected to rise owing to a “services inflation due to wage pressures, labor shortages, and elevated short-term inflation expectations,” Goldman Sachs said, forecasting a 0.3% rise in August.
The Federal Reserve is widely expected to deliver a Morgan Stanley said in a note.hike next week, and will likely continue to tighten monetary policy “until growth is clearly headed to below trend rates,”
In cryptocurrency-related stocks, Marathon Digital (NASDAQ: MARA ), Coinbase Global (NASDAQ:NASDAQ: COIN ), and Riot Blockchain (NASDAQ:NASDAQ: RIOT ) were pushed higher by a more than 3% climb in bitcoin as the popular crypto topped $23,000.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.