Tesla Jumps After Analyst Says It Holds Several-Year Lead in EV
By Dhirendra Tripathi
Investing.com – Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA ) shares jumped almost 4% Monday after Canaccord Genuity analyst Jed Dorsheimer said the electric vehicle maker holds a lead of several years, setting a price target of $1,071.
The new price target is 50% higher than its current price.
Even as competition mounts from the likes of Germany’s Volkswagen (OTC: VWAPY ) Japan’s Honda (NYSE: HMC ) and China’s Geely (OTC: GELYY ), Dorsheimer said that the Elon Musk company holds a “several-year lead” in the sector while it continues to expand aggressively into storage.
As far as supply challenges are concerned, the analyst expects the situation to ease next year as factories at Giga Nevada, Texas, and Berlin come onstream.
“We believe, large capital investments to increase battery production capacity will begin to pay off in 2022, as Giga Texas and Berlin 4680 cell production starts. Cell suppliers Panasonic (OTC: PCRFY ) and LG are also working with Tesla to produce the 4680 cell, Panasonic specifically plans to start production late 2021 at the partner facility Giga Nevada,” the analyst added.
Tesla shares are prone to sharp movements, partly owing to tweets of its maverick founder, and are a favorite of Cathie Wood’s Ark Invest. Recently she set a price target for the stock at $3,000 by 2025.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or