Top 4 Most Trending Stories – Week in Review
As this week comes to a close we take a look at the stories that resonated most with our readers.
A wide variety of news attracted our readers this week, from major company acquisitions to a new health app that allows you to consult with doctors and nurses right from your smartphone.
Uber wants to become the “Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) of transport” and MTN (JO: MTNJ ) invests in rural South Africa.
Find out more about this week’s top articles:
- Equinix Inc (NASDAQ: EQIX ) Expands to Africa After Buying Nigerian Data Centre Firm for $320M
Equinix, an American digital infrastructure company, announced on Monday it had completed a deal to acquire West African data centre and connectivity solutions provider MainOne for a value of $320-million.
Equinix says that this new acquisition marks the beginning of its expansion into the African continent.
- New South African App Lets You Consult Doctors from Your Smartphone
Kena Health is a new South Africa-based health app where anyone can chat to a nurse, doctor, or mental health professional directly from their smartphone.
The app connects users to a team of qualified healthcare practitioners for advice, diagnoses, prescriptions, sick notes, and even referrals to a specialist pathologist or other places of care, as needed. This is all done through their smartphone – at a low cost.
- Uber May Soon Let You Book Flight Tickets on its App
Uber has announced that users could soon be able to book flights and other modes of transport using the Uber app.
This new innovation is in line with the company’s current mission to transform Uber into the “Amazon of transportation” and not be limited to being an e-hailing company that renders cab services only.
- MTN (JO: MTNJ ) Invests $56.4-Million in Rural Limpopo & Mpumalanga, South Africa
MTN SA has announced a ramping up of investments to modernise existing and deploy new network infrastructure across Limpopo and Mpumalanga, South Africa to the tune of $56.4-million.
The company says ultra-rural villages such as Mtititi and Ga Marishane will see benefits from the investment.
Compiled by Luis Monzon
Follow Luis Monzon on Twitter
Follow IT News Africa on Twitter
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or