Trend Micro Incorporated, a global cybersecurity company has achieved another significant victory through its strong collaboration with law enforcement by dismantling a prolific phishing-as-a-service (PaaS) operation.
Zaheer Ebrahim, Solutions Architect for Middle East and Africa at Trend, stated, “Trend’s enduring partnership with INTERPOL prompted an immediate response to their request for assistance. This successful takedown underscores the potency of public-private alliances fueled by robust threat intelligence in global cybercrime investigations.”
INTERPOL first engaged Trend Micro in 2020 to provide threat intelligence on the PaaS site 16shop. This platform offered phishing kits that simplified entry for emerging cybercriminals, facilitating scalable scam campaigns.
Trend’s investigation revealed and relayed to INTERPOL that:
– 16shop-fueled attacks were notably widespread in Japan, the US, and Germany.
– 16shop customers could create phishing pages targeting Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ), American Express (NYSE: AXP ), PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL ), Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL ), CashApp credentials, and US banking logins.
– Phishing kits adjusted the language of phishing sites based on victims’ locations.
– Anti-sandboxing and geolocated access restrictions were incorporated to evade analysis.
– 16shop’s web infrastructure was dispersed across multiple legitimate cloud providers to evade detection.
– The site remained active from 2018 to at least 2021, with the probable emergence of copycat sites afterward.
As per INTERPOL, Trend’s threat intelligence report directly contributed to the arrest of the suspected 16shop administrator and two accomplices in Indonesia and Japan. 16shop enabled phishing against 70,000 victims in 43 countries.
Trend Micro’s steadfast support of INTERPOL in this operation builds on prior collaborations, including 2022’s Operation African Surge, along with numerous training sessions conducted for law enforcement agencies since 2014, including a recent five-day course held in Manila.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.