Truckmaker Volvo reports Q4 adjusted operating profit miss
By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Volvo AB (ST: VOLVb ) has posted lower-than-expected income in the fourth quarter , as elevated input expenses and lingering supply chain disruptions partly offset a surge in net sales.
Adjusted operating profit at the Swedish truckmaker increased by 20% to SEK12.17 billion ($1 = SEK10.20) during the final three months of 2022, up from SEK10.06B in the prior year but below Bloomberg consensus estimates of SEK12.44B. Adjusted operating margin also slipped to 9.1% from 9.8%.
"Costs related to energy, material and supply chain disruptions continue to be high, and we work actively to try to compensate for these effects," said chief executive officer Martin Lundstedt in a statement.
Lundstedt also flagged that uncertainty still remains around the macroeconomic environment, particularly from high inflationary pressures and "geopolitical turmoil." Despite these headwinds, quarterly net sales jumped by 31% to a better-than-anticipated mark of SEK134.3B.
The need to renew aging fleets, as well as "high transport and infrastructure activity," helped boost customer demand, Volvo said. The company delivered 62,800 trucks in the fourth quarter, a rise of 4% year-on-year and a record level for the timeframe.
However, Lundstedt warned that the firm has been "restrictive in slotting orders for production too far into the future" in order to control costs and order book quality. As a result, net order intake fell by 21% to 54,100 trucks.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or