U.K. Inflation Accelerated Again in September, Hitting 10.1%
By Geoffrey Smith
Investing.com -- The U.K.'s inflation rate crept back above 10% in September, as food prices in particular continued to squeeze household incomes and keep the pressure on Prime Minister Liz Truss and the Bank of England.
The consumer price index rose 0.5% from August, while core consumer prices rose 0.6%, both numbers a little higher than expected. That drove the headline rate up to 10.1% from 9.9%, while the core rate rose to 6.5% from 6.3%.
The numbers contained a crumb of comfort in that producer price inflation , which translate into consumer inflation with a modest time lag, slowed from August, although by less than expected. Factory gate prices rose only 0.2%, bringing the annual PPI down to 15.9% from 16.4%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or