Investing.com – U.K. equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Automobiles & Parts , Oil Equipment Services & Distribution and Life Insurance/Assurance sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in London, the Investing.com United Kingdom 100 gained 4.43%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Investing.com United Kingdom 100 were Legal & General Group PLC (LON: LGEN ), which rose 16.16% or 26.10 points to trade at 187.65 at the close. Persimmon PLC (LON: PSN ) added 15.28% or 258.5 points to end at 1950.0 and Associated British Foods PLC (LON: ABF ) was up 15.21% or 244.5 points to 1852.0 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Rentokil Initial PLC (LON: RTO ), which lost 8.18% or 30.30 points to trade at 340.10 in late trade. Sberbank Of Russia (LON: SBNCyq ) declined 4.91% or 0.49 points to end at 9.41 and Coca Cola HBC AG (LON: CCH ) shed 2.97% or 53.5 points to 1746.5.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1674 to 533 and 123 ended unchanged on the London Stock Exchange.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.69% or 28.05 to $1632.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 3.25% or 0.78 to hit $24.79 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 2.14% or 0.58 to trade at $27.73 a barrel.
GBP/USD was up 0.60% to 1.1827, while EUR/GBP rose 0.18% to 0.9190.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 1.18% at 101.045.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.