Investing.com – U.K. equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Oil Equipment Services & Distribution , Industrial Metals & Mining and Automobiles & Parts sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in London, the Investing.com United Kingdom 100 fell 3.60% to hit a new 3-year low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Investing.com United Kingdom 100 were MMC Noril Nick (LON: NKELyq ), which rose 3.98% or 1.24 points to trade at 32.39 at the close. International Consolidated Airlines Group S.A. (LON: ICAG ) added 2.01% or 8.50 points to end at 431.60 and Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC (LON: RR ) was up 0.17% or 1.00 points to 588.20 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Surgutneftegaz L (LON: SNGSyq ), which lost 9.42% or 0.54 points to trade at 5.14 in late trade. Anglo American PLC (LON: AAL ) declined 8.70% or 160.2 points to end at 1681.2 and Smiths Group PLC (LON: SMIN ) shed 7.84% or 120.00 points to 1410.00.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1952 to 274 and 106 ended unchanged on the London Stock Exchange.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.05% or 0.80 to $1667.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 8.24% or 3.78 to hit $42.12 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 7.60% or 3.80 to trade at $46.19 a barrel.
GBP/USD was up 0.37% to 1.3001, while EUR/GBP rose 0.36% to 0.8697.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.80% at 96.017.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.