(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* Credit Suisse at three-month low after flagging losses
* Energy, travel stocks fall on virus concerns
* CD Projekt tops STOXX 600 on leaked Cyberpunk 2077 DLC plans (Adds analyst comments, updates prices throughout)
By Devik Jain and Shreyashi Sanyal
March 29 (Reuters) - European stocks edged higher in a choppy session on Monday, weighed down by Credit Suisse shares, which slumped following a warning of "significant" losses from exiting positions after U.S.-based hedge fund Archegos defaulted on margin calls.
The Swiss bank CSGN.S slipped 13.8% to a three-month low as it said the unnamed hedge fund defaulted on margin calls made last week by Credit Suisse and other banks and said that while it was "premature to quantify" the resulting loss, "it could be highly significant and material to our first quarter results." is unclear whether Archegos is done with its fire sales, and if it isn't, how much it has left to unload," said Connor Campbell, an analyst at Spreadex.
"That also raises questions over the wider ramifications of the hedge fund's troubles, and which companies will be the next to announce they have been stung."
The pan-European STOXX 600 index .STOXX edged 0.2% higher, with economy-linked mining .SXPP , oil & gas .SXEP and travel and leisure .SXTP shares among the biggest decliners as French doctors warned a third wave of infections could soon overwhelm hospitals. Angela Merkel also pressed Germany's states on Sunday to step up efforts to curb rapidly rising coronavirus infections, and raised the possibility of introducing curfews to try to get a third wave under control. benchmark STOXX 600 has lagged its U.S. counterpart in the past six months as new lockdowns in the continent and a slower-than-expected vaccination programme dented the economic outlook for Europe.
The export-heavy German DAX .GDAXI rose 0.5% to an all-time high as data over the weekend showed annual profits at China's industrial firms surged in the first two months of 2021, highlighting a rebound in the country's manufacturing sector. other stocks, Hugo Boss BOSSn.DE slipped 1.6% after the German fashion house got caught in a concerted boycott by Chinese celebrities and consumers over Western accusations of forced labour in Xinjiang. CD Projekt CDR.WA jumped 13.1% to the top of STOXX 600 index after plans about the studio's downloadable content for its Cyberpunk 2077 game leaked on Reddit. in defensive sectors such as food & beverage .SX3P utilities .SX6P , media .SXMP , which tend to decouple from the economic cycle, offered some support to the market.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.