(Refiled for extraneous word in fifth paragraph)
March 30 (Reuters) - Anglo American AAL.L said on Monday its diamond unit De Beers Group will not hold its third sales event because of lockdowns in Botswana, South Africa and India, to contain the fast-spreading coronavirus pandemic.
The third sales cycle was scheduled to take place from March 30 to April 3.
The pandemic has placed new worries on the diamond industry, which faced slowing demand last year due to trade tensions and protests in Hong Kong.
The world's largest producer of rough diamonds by carats, Alrosa ALRS.MM , this month had said it was considering options for online trade as global travel restrictions complicate traditional physical inspection of gemstones. the third rough diamond sales cycle called Sights is cancelled - an event where customers can inspect and buy diamonds from De Beers, the group will seek innovative ways to meet the supply in the coming weeks, Anglo said. Beers Group is enabling Sightholders to defer 100% of their Sight 3 allocations to later in the year, Anglo added.
Sights are held 10 times a year in Botswana, Namibia and South Africa.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.