(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* Moderna vaccine 94.5% effective in interim trial data
* Vodafone surges on strong annual outlook
* Time is running out for Brexit deal, EU tells Britain
* FTSE 100 up 1.7%, FTSE 250 adds 1.8% (Adds analyst comment, details on Moderna vaccine, updates to close)
By Devik Jain
Nov 16 (Reuters) - British stocks jumped on Monday as positive vaccine data from drugmaker Moderna bolstered hopes of a swift economic recovery to pre-pandemic levels, offsetting concerns over a post-Brexit trade deal with the European Union.
The blue-chip FTSE 100 index .FTSE closed 1.7% higher, after Moderna Inc MRNA.O reported its experimental vaccine is 94.5% effective in preventing COVID-19 based on interim data from a late-stage trial. Inc PFE (NYSE: PFE ).N and German drugmker BioNTech SE BNTX.O made a similar announcement on Nov. 9. British drugmaker AstraZeneca Plc AZN.L , which is yet to release results from its late-stage vaccine trials, fell 1%. domestically focussed mid-cap FTSE 250 index .FTMC ended 1.8% higher, with cinema operator Cineworld Group Plc CINE.L jumping 13.5% to the top of the index. The wider travel and leisure sub-index .FTNMX5750 gained 3.2%.
"This (vaccine news) is more evidence that an end to the pandemic is on the horizon and that the economy can eventually reopen without fears of further lockdowns," said David Trainer, CEO of New Constructs, an investment research firm based in Nashville, Tennessee.
Energy .FTNMX0530 , bank .FTNMX8350 and mining .FTNMX1770 stocks provided the biggest boost to the FTSE 100, which has already gained more than 15% this month, helped by a slew of local stimulus measures and hopes of a sooner-than-expected economic recovery.
Bank stocks also gained following news that PNC Financial Services Group Inc (NYSE: PNC ) PNC.N would buy the U.S. business of Spanish lender BBVA BBVA.MC for $11.6 billion in cash. Group Plc VOD.L surged 6.9%, after saying it was increasingly confident about its full-year performance, while tech firm Smiths Group SMIN.L rose 4.8%, after highlighting a 30 million-pound cost-saving target for FY21. that have benefited from people staying home during the pandemic, such as Rentokil Initial RTO.L , Just Eat Takeaway.com JETJ.L and Ocado Group Plc OCDO.L , tumbled between 3.3% and 4.1%.
Meanwhile on the Brexit front, EU warned Britain on Monday that time was fast running out for a trade deal, as negotiators in Brussels began a last-ditch attempt to avoid a tumultuous exit at the end of December.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.