(For a live blog on European stocks, type LIVE/ in an Eikon news window)
* Euro zone blue-chips hit highest since March 5
* Italy's Atlantia soars as end of concession dispute nears
* Sweden's SEB slips as loan loss provision surges
* All eyes on ECB meeting, EU summit later this week
(Updates to market close)
By Sruthi Shankar
July 15 (Reuters) - European stocks closed at over a five-week high on Wednesday, with travel stocks surfing a wave of optimism following reports of progress in developing a COVID-19 vaccine.
The travel & leisure index .SXTP surged 6.1% to lead sectoral gains, but still remains the worst performer in Europe this year with a 33% plunge as the coronavirus pandemic brought global travel to a halt.
Investors were encouraged by an early-stage study on U.S. biotech firm Moderna Inc's MRNA.O experimental vaccine for COVID-19 that provoked immune responses. AstraZeneca AZN.L jumped 5.2% after a report said positive news on the University of Oxford's potential COVID-19 vaccine that has been licensed to the drugmaker could be announced as soon as Thursday. central scenario is that a vaccine would be broadly available from the second quarter of next year, or the fourth quarter of this year in our upside scenario," Mark Haefele, chief investment officer of UBS Global Wealth Management, told clients.
"Various potential treatment options are also in the pipeline, raising hopes that societies can cope with the pandemic without full shutdowns."
Expectations were also high among investors heading into an EU summit later this week that leaders will agree on a recovery fund of 750 billion euros for pandemic-hammered economies. European Central Bank concludes its policy meeting on Thursday although no major announcements are expected. individual movers, Swedish telecom operator Tele2 AB TEL2b.ST gained 2.9% as it reaffirmed its 2020 earnings outlook and plans for an extra shareholder payout. world's largest fish farmer Mowi ASA MOWI.OL jumped 6.8% as harvest volumes beat its own forecast. Shares in peer Salmar SALM.OL rose 2.2%. top gainer on the STOXX 600 was Atlantia SpA ATL.MI , which shot up 26.7% after the Italian infrastructure group and its unit Autostrade made the government new offers to settle their long-running dispute. equipment maker ASML Holding NV ASML.AS declined 3.7% as it reported quarterly profit below estimates, but forecast overall growth for 2020. bank SEB AB SEBa.ST fell 1.6% after reporting a smaller-than-expected fall in net quarterly profit, but credit loss provisions surged. Handelsbanken AB SHBa.ST also dropped 2.6%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.