(For a live blog on European stocks, type LIVE/ in an Eikon news window)
* Utilities and automobile stocks gain on strong earnings
* Travel & leisure stocks lead declines
* Weir Group tops STOXX 600 on strong FY results
* ISS slumps to record low on weak profit outlook (Adds details, updates to close)
By Ambar Warrick
Feb 26 (Reuters) - European shares ended flat on Wednesday, recouping all of the day's losses as strong utility and automobile earnings helped somewhat distract markets from the coronavirus outbreak.
Spanish electricity provider Iberdrola SA IBE.MC led gains in utilities after posting robust annual profit growth, while French carmaker Peugeot SA PEUP.PA topped the auto sector after a strong 2019. main European equity benchmark STOXX 600 .STOXX closed largely unchanged after dropping as much as 2.9% to a four-month low earlier in the session. Analysts suggested that investors were exercising some restraint after an extended sell-off over the prior sessions.
"We've had quite a lot of aggressive selling, but at the moment, because there aren't any reports of further outbreaks, or anything we're not familiar with, (the market) seems to have taken a bit of a breather to see what kind of damage is being done" said Michael Baker, an analyst at ETX Capital in London.
The STOXX 600 has shed roughly $700 billion in value this week as the coronavirus' spread to shores beyond China prompted a swift reassessment of its economic impact.
On the other hand, travel stocks .SXTP were the worst hit sector. The subindex has lost more than 9% so far this week, with airline stocks bearing the bulk of losses.
The losses followed a grim session for Asia and Wall Street overnight after U.S. health officials warned that Americans should prepare for a possible spread of the virus. Wall Street however, attempted a recovery in early trade on Wednesday. .N
Italian stocks .FTMIB bounced back from a near three-month low, snapping a four-day losing streak spurred by a coronavirus outbreak which has made the country the worst-hit in Europe.
British engineering company Weir Group WEIR.L topped the STOXX 600 with a 11% rise after its annual core earnings topped expectations. biggest decliner on the STOXX 600 was Danish services company ISS ISS.CO , slumping 15% to a record low after it warned on its 2020 profit. data from Refinitiv shows European companies are expected to report a 1.2% fall in profits in the fourth quarter, a bigger drop than previously expected, which would keep them stuck in a year-long earnings recession.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.