(Adds details from statement, share movement)
Dec 2 (Reuters) - Nedbank Group NEDJ.J , one of South Africa's largest lenders, said on Wednesday growth in net interest income slowed in the first ten months of its fiscal year as low interest rates dented margins even as it stuck with the annual profit targets.
The bank said large corporate defaults remained a risk as net interest income growth for the period declined from the 1% growth reported for the six months to June 30. ongoing economic recovery from the low point in Q2 2020, initiated by the gradual easing of lockdown levels from level five to the current level one, is encouraging and is expected to continue," the lender said.
However, it was unlikely to declare ordinary dividend for 2020.
The commercial property advances portfolio, which the lender has a relatively large exposure and was severely hit by the coronavirus crisis, continues to perform ahead of its expectations, it said.
Shares of the bank were down 0.6% at 1216 GMT.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.