UPDATE 1-South Africa's Dis-Chem posts 16.2% rise in H1 earnings
JOHANNESBURG, Nov 5 (Reuters) - South African drug store chain Dis-Chem Pharmacies Ltd reported on Thursday a 16.2% rise in half-year earnings as it benefited from being an essential services provider during the COVID-19 pandemic, although it was restricted from selling some items.
At 0714 GMT, shares in TFG jumped to a six-month high, up 9%.
Headline earnings per share, the main profit measure in South Africa, for the six months ended Aug. 31 rose to 36 cents from 31 cents in 2019.
During the initial stage of the lockdown period, Dis-Chem DCPJ.J was unable to sell 20% of its products, including higher-margin products from its beauty category, the firm said.
The country also experienced fewer cold and flu cases than in previous years as a result of social distancing, increased sanitising measures, people working from home and children not going to school.
"This adversely impacted the dispensary category, specifically over-the-counter sales. Strong chronic drug adherence due to health education, awareness and higher patient risk, partially offset the impact," the country's second-largest drugstore chain by market value said.
Group revenue rose by 8.1% to 12.8 billion rand, with retail revenue growth of 6% and wholesale revenue growth of 14.9%.
Dis-Chem said it is slowly starting to see the sales and gross margin mix normalise but continues to expect gross margin to track behind sales growth into the second half of the financial year.
For the nine weeks to Oct. 31, group revenue grew by 7.1% from the prior comparable period.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or