(Updates rand, bonds; adds stocks)
JOHANNESBURG, Nov 5 (Reuters) - South Africa's rand firmed on Thursday, remaining below the key technical level of 16.00 to the dollar breached in a rally driven by increasing indications that Joe Biden was moving closer to victory in a tight U.S. presidential election.
At 1505 GMT, the rand ZAR=D3 was 0.33% firmer at 15.7975 per dollar, after hitting a new eight-month best of 15.7575 earlier in the session.
Government bonds also firmed, with the yield on the benchmark 2030 paper ZAR2030= dropping 28 basis points to 8.98%.
Biden, a Democrat, edged closer to victory in the race for the White House on Thursday as election officials tallied votes in the handful of states that will determine the outcome.
Republican President Donald Trump alleged fraud without providing evidence, filed lawsuits and called for recounts in a race yet to be decided two days after polls closed. how the exit polls are indicating a win for Democrat challenger Joe Biden but a divided Congress, markets are pricing in the prospects of lower stimulus spending – something that continues to weaken the dollar," Lukman Otunuga, senior research analyst at FXTM, said in a note.
"This sentiment may offer further support to the rand."
Otunuga said that while the election remained a big deal, markets focus was also on the U.S. Federal Reserve policy decision on Thursday.
"Should the central bank sound dovish, this could end up weakening the dollar, consequently providing a tailwind to emerging market currencies like the rand," said Otunuga.
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) recovered all of last week's losses to post a fourth consecutive day of rally with the all share index .JALSH closing up 2.76% at 55,137 points. The top 40 companies index .JTOPI was up 2.81% to close at 50,687 points.
"The blue wave has not materialised even with a Biden win," said Greg Davies, head of wealth at Cratos Capital, adding that a Republican-controlled U.S. Senate means it will not be easy for Biden to implement proposed tax measures which is boosting the markets.
The broad-based rally was largely led by technology and gold mining stocks. Index heavyweight Naspers Ltd NPNJn.J , which holds a more than 30% stake in Chinese internet giant Tencent 0700.HK via subsidiary Prosus NV PRX.AS , was up by almost 6% on the back of soaring Chinese technology stocks.
The gold mining index .JGLDX 4.53% as the price of safe haven gold soared.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.