(For a live blog on European stocks, type LIVE/ in an Eikon news window)
* IHG jumps on saying "very early" return in demand
* Global equities shrug off U.S.-China tensions
* BoE deputy governor signals room for more stimulus
* Housebuilder Bellway , Domino's Pizza slip on weak earnings
* FTSE 100 up 1.6%, FTSE 250 up 1.5% (Adds comments, updates prices to close)
By Sagarika Jaisinghani and Shreyashi Sanyal
Aug 11 (Reuters) - The UK mid-caps index touched its highest level in two months on Tuesday as hopes of a stimulus-led rebound helped investors look past a mixed batch of quarterly earnings updates, while InterContinental Hotels rose after signalling a tentative recovery.
The Holiday Inn owner IHG.L gained 4.7% after it said it was seeing some "very early" signs of returning demand as coronavirus-related restrictions eased in major markets. mid-cap FTSE 250 .FTMC rose for a third straight session, as Bank of England Deputy Governor Dave Ramsden said the central bank would step up quantitative easing if the economy slowed again. June gross domestic product figures are due on Wednesday. blue-chip FTSE 100 .FTSE added 1.6%, tracking gains in Asia and on Wall Street on relief that a U.S.-China spat appeared not to have spilled over into trade. MKTS/GLOB
"Hopes of bipartisan agreement on a U.S. fiscal stimulus package helped stoke the fires of a market rally on Tuesday with the FTSE 100 now up 4% since the start of August and back firmly above 6,100," said Russ Mould, investment director at AJ Bell.
Historic global stimulus and improving economic data have powered UK stock markets since a coronavirus-driven crash in March. Data on Tuesday showed British consumers spent the most in July since a coronavirus-led lockdown in March, as pubs, restaurants, barbers and beauty salons reopened. investors are cautious with unemployment remaining elevated and a resurgence in COVID-19 cases threatening another round of lockdowns, and the FTSE 100 has underperformed its European and U.S. peers. .FTNMX0530 , life insurance .FTNMX8570 and travel-related .FTNMX5750 stocks were among the top gainers of the day, while homebuilders .FTNMX3720 , utilities .FTNMX7570 and real estate .FTUB8600 firms lagged the wider market.
Housebuilder Bellway Plc BWY.L fell 4.5% as it built fewer homes in the year due to the lockdown.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.