UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on April 22
(Add news items)
April 22(Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is seen opening higher on Thursday, with futures FFIc1 up 0.5%.
* TAYLOR WIMPEY: Homebuilder Taylor Wimpey TW.L forecast sustained demand as the sector benefits from a lower interest rate environment and additional budget support measures announced last month. ASTRAZENECA: The European Commission is preparing to launch legal proceedings against vaccine maker AstraZeneca (LON: AZN ), Politico reported late Wednesday. RENTOKIL INITIAL: Rentokil Initial RTO.L reported a rise in quarterly revenue, as enhanced hygiene practices during the COVID-19 pandemic boosted demand for the company's disinfection services. DOMINO'S PIZZA: Domino's Pizza Group DOM.L reported higher first-quarter sales as repeated coronavirus-led lockdowns pushed up pizza delivery orders. INFORMA: Informa INF.L said it expects trade shows and events to gradually return in the second half of the year as vaccination campaigns roll out. RELX: Relx REL.L forecast that its three biggest divisions would help drive growth in underlying revenue and adjusted operating profit in 2021. IBSTOCK: Ibstock IBST.L said that it plans to spend 60 million pounds to ramp up brick capacity in two of its sites. HSBC: Climate activists shattered at least 19 windows at HSBC's HSBA.L headquarters in London's Canary Wharf, a Reuters reporter said. BOE: The Bank of England said it plans to open a "northern hub" in England, as part of a drive to make the central bank less London-centric. WHITBREAD: Premier Inn-owner Whitbread WTB.L pledged to attain net zero carbon emissions by 2040, a decade ahead of its prior commitment, as it speeds up its programme to reduce the usage of gas, install solar panels and move to an electric vehicle fleet. AGGREKO: Aggreko 's AGGK.L 2.3 billion pound takeover by private equity firms is in doubt because its biggest shareholder, Liontrust Asset Management, plans to oppose the deal, Sky News reported on Wednesday. RYANAIR: Ryanair RYA.I expects a very strong profit recovery in the year to March 31, 2023, and at best a breakeven performance over the next 12 months with traffic already starting to recover, Group Chief Executive Michael O'Leary said on Wednesday. OIL: Oil prices fell for a third day as a surprise build in U.S. crude inventories and a resurgence of COVID-19 cases in India and Japan raised concerns that a recovery in global economy and fuel demand may slow. London's FTSE 100 rose on Wednesday, led by gains in AstraZeneca and energy heavyweights BP (LON: BP ) and Royal Dutch Shell (LON: RDSa ), while Just Eat Takeaway.com dropped following Uber Eats' plan to foray into the German market. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: LIVE/
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or