(Adds futures, news items)
* SHELL: Royal Dutch Shell RDSA.L said its second-quarter writedowns include the OPL 245 licence for an offshore oilfield in Nigeria which it holds alongside Eni ENI.MI . ASTRAZENECA: AstraZeneca AZN.L topped second-quarter sales and profit expectations and stood by its 2020 forecasts. LLOYDS BANKING GROUP: Lloyds Banking Group LLOY.L swung to a rare pretax loss in the first half of 2020, after setting aside a bigger than expected 2.4 billion pounds second quarter provision. MAN GROUP: Man Group EMG.L recorded an 8% fall in assets in the first six months of 2020. ANGLO AMERICAN: Anglo American AAL.L said first-half profits fell 39%. BAE SYSTEMS: BAE Systems BAES.L warned its underlying earnings would be slightly lower in 2020. RENTOKIL: Rentokil Initial Plc RTO.L reported an 11% fall in adjusted pretax profit for the first half of this year. RSA: RSA RSA.L posted an above-forecast operating profit of 349 million pounds in the first half. ROBERT WALTERS': Robert Walters' RWA.L half-year profit fell nearly 80%. SCHRODERS: Schroders SDR.L posted a 10% fall in profit before tax and exceptional items in the first half of the year. INDIVIOR: Indivior INDV.L reported a 73% fall in its second-quarter profit. The UK blue-chip index .FTSE FTSE 100 ended flat on Wednesday as investors held out for more stimulus from the U.S. Congress and the Federal Reserve, while GlaxoSmithKline, Barclays (LON: BARC ) and Taylor Wimpey (LON: TW ) slid on weak quarterly earnings. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: LIVE/
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.