By Sam Boughedda
Upwork Inc. (NASDAQ: UPWK ) reported earnings after the close Wednesday, beating analyst profit and revenue expectations.
The company posted a second-quarter loss per share of $0.04, topping the analyst estimate of a $0.08 loss per share. Revenue for the quarter came in at $157 million versus the consensus estimate of $147.78 million.
Following the report, analysts provided their commentary and adjusted price targets:
A Stifel analyst maintained a Hold rating and increased the firm's price target to $23 from $20 per share.
In a note to clients, the analyst said, "Upwork reported solid 2Q results in a tough operating environment with revenue and adj. EBITDA above expectations."
"The company is not seeing a material change in client behavior as a result of the macro environment, though the company did factor in a $10-$15mm headwind to its improved FY 2022 revenue guidance due to the emergence of some seasonality/macro-driven softness in 2Q (in Europe and from SMBs)," added the analyst.
An RBC Capital analyst maintained a Sector Perform rating and a $21 per share price target on the stock.
"The LT opportunity for growth remains robust in digital talent/freelancing, however, we need line of sight to an inflection to growth, more confidence in margin expansion and more comfort in LinkedIn's competitive shadow growing smaller not larger before we get constructive," said the analyst.
A Jefferies analyst maintained a Hold rating on Upwork but raised the firm's price target to $23 from $20.
"UPWK continues to manage top-line expectations well and beat Q2 revs by 6%, plus raised FY22 guide by $14.5M (3%) at mid-pt despite embedding $10-15M in 2H macro impact," said the analyst. "There were some early macro pressures on client acquisition & retention, espec. in Europe and from SMBs. FY22 EBITDA guide was reinstated at minus $10-14M vs. St. - $9M and pre-war initial guide of break-even. Client behavior is unclear if macro worsens, though LT secular trends remain positive."
Finally, a Goldman Sachs analyst Eric reiterated a Buy rating and lowered their price target from $31 to $30.
"Upwork's Q2'22 earnings report struck a broadly constructive tone on the end demand environment (especially against broader macro fears & uncertainty) with pockets of weakness in certain geos/customer profiles more than offset by strength in other areas (Enterprise, product innovation, etc.)," said the analyst.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.