The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 2.57% or 6.60 points to trade at 263.76 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.95% or 2.91 points to end at 152.00 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 1.44% or 1.21 points to 85.49 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 2.07% or 7.12 points to trade at 337.39 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 1.95% or 0.74 points to end at 37.48 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 1.26% or 1.81 points to 142.09.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which rose 16.79% to 6.19, L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which was up 16.27% to settle at 39.08 and Mylan NV (NASDAQ: VTRS ) which gained 9.57% to close at 17.74.
The worst performers were Robert Half International Inc (NYSE: RHI ) which was down 4.83% to 62.21 in late trade, Estee Lauder Companies Inc (NYSE: EL ) which lost 3.85% to settle at 240.69 and Centene Corp (NYSE: CNC ) which was down 3.41% to 63.71 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which rose 131.66% to 0.300, Arcimoto Inc (NASDAQ: FUV ) which was up 47.99% to settle at 13.970 and AYRO Inc (NASDAQ: AYRO ) which gained 39.15% to close at 5.9000.
The worst performers were Ebang International Holdings (NASDAQ: EBON ) which was down 26.04% to 5.34 in late trade, Tantech Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: TANH ) which lost 21.25% to settle at 2.780 and Xcel Brands Inc (NASDAQ: XELB ) which was down 14.53% to 1.000 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1662 to 1236 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1580 rose and 1176 declined, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.07% to 22.87.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.58% or 10.95 to $1862.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 0.19% or 0.08 to hit $42.09 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 0.09% or 0.04 to trade at $44.38 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.20% to 1.1876, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 103.81.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 92.287.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.