U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.11%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Utilities and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.11% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index climbed 0.03%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 0.10%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 1.36% or 3.11 points to trade at 231.15 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) added 1.25% or 1.77 points to end at 143.56 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 1.03% or 1.27 points to 124.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 1.23% or 0.71 points to trade at 57.09 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 0.69% or 0.40 points to end at 57.30 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 0.69% or 1.36 points to 196.52.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which rose 3.88% to 68.77, Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which was up 3.70% to settle at 315.48 and Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which gained 3.44% to close at 20.15.
The worst performers were Cardinal Health Inc (NYSE: CAH ) which was down 3.97% to 51.57 in late trade, CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which lost 3.31% to settle at 13.13 and AmerisourceBergen (NYSE: ABC ) which was down 3.27% to 83.15 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which rose 99.74% to 0.0769, Oncolytics Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: ONCY ) which was up 34.33% to settle at 1.800 and Pacific Ethanol Inc (NASDAQ: PEIX ) which gained 31.02% to close at 0.629.
The worst performers were Proteostasis Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTI ) which was down 63.68% to 1.58 in late trade, Sienna Biopharmaceuticals Inc (OTC: SNNAQ ) which lost 55.89% to settle at 0.06 and Adamas Pharma (NASDAQ: ADMS ) which was down 43.29% to 4.14 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1730 to 1109 and 87 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1468 rose and 1195 declined, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.24% to 12.29.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.00% or 0.05 to $1480.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.57% or 0.34 to hit $60.48 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.09% or 0.06 to trade at $65.81 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1152, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 109.47.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 96.752.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or