The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which rose 3.11% or 5.02 points to trade at 166.22 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 2.06% or 3.25 points to end at 160.92 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 1.22% or 1.96 points to 162.60 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 1.23% or 2.75 points to trade at 221.63 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.87% or 3.68 points to end at 419.73 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 0.84% or 1.26 points to 148.36.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which rose 7.87% to 65.54, Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which was up 4.07% to settle at 389.07 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which gained 3.79% to close at 45.62.
The worst performers were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 17.64% to 31.14 in late trade, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which lost 5.34% to settle at 27.47 and Nucor Corp (NYSE: NUE ) which was down 2.69% to 119.94 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Regencell Bioscience Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: RGC ) which rose 200.20% to 45.93, Locust Walk Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: LWAC ) which was up 86.71% to settle at 16.356 and Aditx Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ADTX ) which gained 52.53% to close at 3.020.
The worst performers were Cassava Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: SAVA ) which was down 31.40% to 80.83 in late trade, 111 Inc (NASDAQ: YI ) which lost 18.45% to settle at 6.540 and Lexinfintech Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: LX ) which was down 13.42% to 6.97 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1913 to 1257 and 166 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2033 rose and 1494 declined, while 142 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.50% to 16.79.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.89% or 16.05 to $1792.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.89% or 0.60 to hit $68.14 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.92% or 0.65 to trade at $71.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.16% to 1.1772, while USD/JPY rose 0.35% to 110.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 92.840.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.