The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 4.83% or 8.99 points to trade at 195.11 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 1.30% or 2.60 points to end at 203.19 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.03% or 1.10 points to 108.22 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 3.39% or 5.13 points to trade at 146.05 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 1.86% or 2.36 points to end at 124.75 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 1.12% or 0.43 points to 37.85.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Darden Restaurants Inc (NYSE: DRI ) which rose 8.12% to 97.31, Jefferies Financial Group Inc (NYSE: JEF ) which was up 6.80% to settle at 18.23 and Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which gained 4.88% to close at 286.31.
The worst performers were CarMax Inc (NYSE: KMX ) which was down 11.00% to 94.28 in late trade, Accenture plc (NYSE: ACN ) which lost 7.04% to settle at 214.42 and Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was down 5.14% to 2.77 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sunworks Inc (NASDAQ: SUNW ) which rose 238.79% to 3.930, Peck Company Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PECK ) which was up 131.67% to settle at 7.90 and Polar Power Inc (NASDAQ: POLA ) which gained 92.19% to close at 3.690.
The worst performers were Golar LNG Limited (NASDAQ: GLNG ) which was down 32.35% to 6.86 in late trade, Kubient Inc (NASDAQ: KBNT ) which lost 25.32% to settle at 2.92 and MediciNova Inc (NASDAQ: MNOV ) which was down 22.04% to 4.67 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1545 to 1518 and 94 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1633 fell and 1214 advanced, while 78 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.24% to 28.51.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.20% or 3.65 to $1872.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.65% or 0.26 to hit $40.19 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $41.74 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.1670, while USD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 105.40.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 94.390.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.