The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 3.34% or 4.97 points to trade at 153.58 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 2.14% or 2.58 points to end at 123.03 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 2.03% or 0.94 points to 47.17 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 2.55% or 3.22 points to trade at 122.86 in late trade. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) declined 1.40% or 2.97 points to end at 208.56 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 1.37% or 2.17 points to 156.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which rose 14.47% to 61.72, Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which was up 11.34% to settle at 457.48 and Catalent Inc (NYSE: CTLT ) which gained 10.91% to close at 99.95.
The worst performers were Rockwell Automation Inc (NYSE: ROK ) which was down 14.52% to 213.74 in late trade, Expedia Inc (NASDAQ: EXPE ) which lost 14.02% to settle at 150.31 and FMC Corporation (NYSE: FMC ) which was down 6.28% to 123.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Blue Water Vaccines Inc (NASDAQ: BWV ) which rose 93.11% to 6.45, XORTX Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: XRTX ) which was up 57.76% to settle at 1.83 and Ostin Technology Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: OST ) which gained 57.28% to close at 4.75.
The worst performers were Spero Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SPRO ) which was down 63.65% to 1.85 in late trade, Blackboxstocks Inc (NASDAQ: BLBX ) which lost 34.41% to settle at 3.05 and Galmed Pharmaceuticals Ltd (NASDAQ: GLMD ) which was down 25.08% to 0.91 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2118 to 1067 and 143 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2083 rose and 1694 declined, while 270 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.55% to 29.25.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.16% or 3.00 to $1,866.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 2.51% or 2.64 to hit $102.53 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 2.38% or 2.56 to trade at $105.02 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.19% to 1.05, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 130.16.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.27% at 103.48.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.