The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 1.12% or 2.25 points to trade at 202.33 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 1.02% or 2.37 points to end at 233.95 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 0.86% or 0.51 points to 59.59 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 0.58% or 0.85 points to trade at 145.65 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 0.43% or 0.54 points to end at 124.06 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 0.40% or 0.21 points to 52.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which rose 7.33% to 179.04, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was up 4.82% to settle at 18.28 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) which gained 4.38% to close at 173.45.
The worst performers were Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 6.45% to 20.44 in late trade, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which lost 4.67% to settle at 18.370 and L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which was down 3.71% to 18.16 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were CTI Industries Corporation (NASDAQ: CTIB ) which rose 210.30% to 2.60, Zion Oil & Gas Inc (NASDAQ: ZN ) which was up 138.31% to settle at 0.520 and Pareteum Corp (NASDAQ: TEUM ) which gained 67.15% to close at 0.765.
The worst performers were Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which was down 55.19% to 0.2039 in late trade, Stellar Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which lost 21.30% to settle at 3.140 and Pensare Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: WRLS ) which was down 17.22% to 8.80 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1518 to 1271 and 111 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1443 rose and 1211 declined, while 73 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.21% to 13.85.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.98% or 15.25 to $1567.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.33% or 0.21 to hit $62.84 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.20% or 0.14 to trade at $68.61 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1195, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 108.36.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.22% at 96.312.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.