The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 3.43% or 2.02 points to trade at 60.88 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 2.87% or 1.48 points to end at 53.02 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 2.64% or 7.76 points to 301.59 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 2.08% or 1.77 points to trade at 83.23 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 2.03% or 3.63 points to end at 175.46 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 1.78% or 3.78 points to 209.11.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which rose 12.30% to 22.55, Apache Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which was up 9.36% to settle at 18.22 and Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which gained 7.98% to close at 8.25.
The worst performers were PerkinElmer Inc (NYSE: PKI ) which was down 4.10% to 152.72 in late trade, Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY ) which lost 4.07% to settle at 178.38 and Southern Company (NYSE: SO ) which was down 3.61% to 59.00 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ArcLight Clean Transition Corp (NASDAQ: ACTC ) which rose 94.59% to 23.72, BIOLASE Inc (NASDAQ: BIOL ) which was up 83.55% to settle at 1.0600 and ENGlobal Corporation (NASDAQ: ENG ) which gained 55.76% to close at 6.7600.
The worst performers were Avinger Inc (NASDAQ: AVGR ) which was down 20.69% to 1.150 in late trade, LM Funding America Inc (NASDAQ: LMFA ) which lost 22.04% to settle at 1.9100 and Black Diamond Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BDTX ) which was down 15.02% to 29.53 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2013 to 1086 and 74 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2047 rose and 1011 declined, while 53 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.82% to 23.40.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.26% or 4.80 to $1855.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 1.72% or 0.90 to hit $53.15 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 1.56% or 0.87 to trade at $56.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.45% to 1.2204, while USD/JPY fell 0.47% to 103.75.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.46% at 90.028.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.