The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 2.15% or 1.83 points to trade at 86.80 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 1.81% or 0.80 points to end at 45.11 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 1.41% or 4.21 points to 302.75 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which lost 1.31% or 2.86 points to trade at 216.15 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 0.68% or 0.42 points to end at 61.25 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 0.67% or 2.11 points to 314.15.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which rose 14.75% to 40.06, Lamb Weston Holdings Inc (NYSE: LW ) which was up 7.97% to settle at 65.26 and Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT ) which gained 5.67% to close at 228.19.
The worst performers were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 5.40% to 48.03 in late trade, Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which lost 3.60% to settle at 120.95 and Discovery Inc Class A (NASDAQ: DISCA ) which was down 3.53% to 23.08 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Medavail Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MDVL ) which rose 64.43% to 1.41, Trevi Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TRVI ) which was up 56.84% to settle at 2.98 and Momentus Inc (NASDAQ: MNTS ) which gained 48.47% to close at 4.38.
The worst performers were Blue Water Vaccines Inc (NASDAQ: BWV ) which was down 82.76% to 10.17 in late trade, Aptinyx Inc (NASDAQ: APTX ) which lost 49.15% to settle at 1.19 and Integrated Media Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: IMTE ) which was down 36.11% to 13.11 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1740 to 1455 and 123 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2287 fell and 1541 advanced, while 215 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.49% to 21.55.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.45% or 8.60 to $1,931.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.74% or 0.71 to hit $96.94 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.21% or 0.21 to trade at $101.28 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.20% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.17% to 124.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.20% at 99.81.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.