The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 4.14% or 8.53 points to trade at 214.41 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 1.65% or 3.58 points to end at 220.25 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 1.64% or 7.48 points to 463.29 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 3.05% or 5.41 points to trade at 172.10 in late trade. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) declined 1.18% or 2.53 points to end at 211.24 and Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) shed 0.97% or 0.55 points to 56.29.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which rose 13.99% to 10.590, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was up 11.04% to settle at 151.39 and Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which gained 6.97% to close at 39.62.
The worst performers were Kimco Realty Corporation (NYSE: KIM ) which was down 4.60% to 23.22 in late trade, The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES ) which lost 4.58% to settle at 23.84 and Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE: FRT ) which was down 3.79% to 127.54 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Pioneer Pow (NASDAQ: PPSI ) which rose 195.08% to 9.590, TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was up 78.87% to settle at 6.940 and CBAK Energy Technology Inc (NASDAQ: CBAT ) which gained 55.12% to close at 3.335.
The worst performers were CN Energy Group Inc (NASDAQ: CNEY ) which was down 56.13% to 5.080 in late trade, eHealth Inc (NASDAQ: EHTH ) which lost 25.05% to settle at 30.28 and Ontrak Inc (NASDAQ: OTRK ) which was down 23.31% to 8.98 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1747 to 1493 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1986 rose and 1676 declined, while 163 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.25% to 17.18.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.58% or 10.60 to $1827.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 1.01% or 0.82 to hit $82.09 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 1.03% or 0.85 to trade at $83.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.19% to 1.1588, while USD/JPY fell 0.14% to 113.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.30% at 94.037.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.