The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 2.14% or 6.63 points to trade at 316.96 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 1.78% or 0.84 points to end at 47.97 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 1.65% or 0.85 points to 52.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 3.14% or 9.28 points to trade at 285.85 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 0.51% or 0.74 points to end at 143.88 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.43% or 0.50 points to 115.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which rose 5.21% to 75.86, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which was up 4.88% to settle at 13.53 and Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which gained 4.06% to close at 113.92.
The worst performers were ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was down 11.09% to 168.10 in late trade, Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which lost 3.69% to settle at 323.15 and Anthem Inc (NYSE: ANTM ) which was down 3.57% to 296.74 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Adaptimmune Therapeutics Plc (NASDAQ: ADAP ) which rose 200.00% to 3.99, Dare Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: DARE ) which was up 96.92% to settle at 1.650 and NantKwest Inc (NASDAQ: NK ) which gained 91.01% to close at 6.80.
The worst performers were Acasti Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: ACST ) which was down 65.14% to 0.760 in late trade, Aquestive Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: AQST ) which lost 34.04% to settle at 4.36 and Jason Industries Inc (NASDAQ: JASN ) which was down 26.12% to 0.240 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1943 to 872 and 99 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1647 rose and 1009 declined, while 62 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.91% to 12.32.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.75% or 11.65 to $1548.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 1.63% or 0.96 to hit $58.08 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $64.25 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1138, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 109.92.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.03% at 97.107.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.