The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 1.82% or 2.59 points to trade at 144.61 at the close. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) added 1.52% or 2.99 points to end at 199.88 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 1.28% or 4.08 points to 323.34 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 1.86% or 4.39 points to trade at 231.75 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.01% or 1.05 points to end at 102.94 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) shed 0.75% or 1.88 points to 248.37.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Affiliated Managers Group Inc (NYSE: AMG ) which rose 5.26% to 175.58, Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL ) which was up 3.61% to settle at 86.08 and Nucor Corp (NYSE: NUE ) which gained 3.38% to close at 95.68.
The worst performers were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was down 5.97% to 17.17 in late trade, Xilinx Inc (NASDAQ: XLNX ) which lost 4.67% to settle at 137.43 and MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 4.58% to 450.20 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Newegg Commerce Inc (NASDAQ: NEGG ) which rose 149.12% to 67.76, Mannatech Incorporated (NASDAQ: MTEX ) which was up 49.08% to settle at 43.53 and Data Storage Corp (NASDAQ: DTST ) which gained 31.82% to close at 9.610.
The worst performers were Bridgeline Digital Inc (NASDAQ: BLIN ) which was down 30.91% to 8.450 in late trade, BSQUARE Corporation (NASDAQ: BSQR ) which lost 28.87% to settle at 5.015 and Professional Diversity Network Inc (NASDAQ: IPDN ) which was down 21.46% to 1.6650 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1702 to 1461 and 129 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2444 fell and 1032 advanced, while 146 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.46% to 16.20.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.54% or 9.65 to $1803.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 1.91% or 1.40 to hit $71.97 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 1.73% or 1.29 to trade at $73.24 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.25% to 1.1792, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 110.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 92.707.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.