The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 4.20% or 7.43 points to trade at 184.47 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 2.35% or 8.74 points to end at 380.50 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 1.64% or 2.55 points to 158.32 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which lost 0.91% or 0.49 points to trade at 53.25 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 0.89% or 2.18 points to end at 242.88 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 0.59% or 1.41 points to 238.18.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which rose 6.83% to 187.50, Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which was up 4.35% to settle at 685.50 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) which gained 4.20% to close at 184.47.
The worst performers were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which was down 2.76% to 29.21 in late trade, TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which lost 2.70% to settle at 37.84 and Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which was down 2.54% to 349.06 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Mediaco Holding Inc (NASDAQ: MDIA ) which rose 311.86% to 17.010, State Auto Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: STFC ) which was up 191.43% to settle at 50.30 and SGOCO Group Ltd (NASDAQ: SGOC ) which gained 103.58% to close at 19.930.
The worst performers were Toughbuilt Industries Inc (NASDAQ: TBLT ) which was down 33.01% to 0.7034 in late trade, UTStarcom Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: UTSI ) which lost 20.41% to settle at 1.5600 and Newegg Commerce Inc (NASDAQ: NEGG ) which was down 19.13% to 37.76 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1798 to 1371 and 128 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1763 fell and 1725 advanced, while 133 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.06% to 16.17.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.25% or 4.45 to $1806.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 0.56% or 0.42 to hit $74.14 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 0.42% or 0.32 to trade at $75.23 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.10% to 1.1861, while USD/JPY rose 0.20% to 110.36.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.13% at 92.237.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.