The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 2.96% or 1.49 points to trade at 51.78 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 2.09% or 2.00 points to end at 97.71 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.84% or 3.82 points to 211.78 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which lost 2.58% or 5.94 points to trade at 224.18 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 1.55% or 4.17 points to end at 264.15 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 1.45% or 2.39 points to 162.05.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Quanta Services Inc (NYSE: PWR ) which rose 12.06% to 114.04, Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which was up 6.70% to settle at 17.35 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which gained 5.98% to close at 26.58.
The worst performers were Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ: ADSK ) which was down 5.20% to 287.47 in late trade, Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE: HRL ) which lost 4.60% to settle at 43.57 and Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 2.91% to 25.68 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were AgileThought Inc (NASDAQ: AGIL ) which rose 69.40% to 23.530, Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which was up 41.78% to settle at 9.400 and Data Storage Corp (NASDAQ: DTST ) which gained 29.59% to close at 5.080.
The worst performers were Meten Edtechx Education Group Ltd (NASDAQ: METX ) which was down 57.32% to 0.3924 in late trade, Unico American Corporation (NASDAQ: UNAM ) which lost 17.39% to settle at 3.610 and Assembly Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ASMB ) which was down 16.15% to 3.270 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2030 to 1143 and 159 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2181 rose and 1304 declined, while 153 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.86% to 16.41.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.22% or 4.05 to $1811.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 1.65% or 1.13 to hit $69.72 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.62% or 1.16 to trade at $72.75 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.31% to 1.1874, while USD/JPY fell 0.03% to 109.96.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.25% at 92.222.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.