The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which rose 2.32% or 1.18 points to trade at 52.12 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 2.07% or 4.59 points to end at 226.36 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 1.79% or 1.47 points to 83.52 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.93% or 1.45 points to trade at 48.11 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 2.03% or 0.91 points to end at 43.86 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 1.37% or 3.05 points to 219.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Edwards Lifesciences Corp (NYSE: EW ) which rose 4.54% to 123.07, Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which was up 4.19% to settle at 82.78 and Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which gained 4.15% to close at 363.90.
The worst performers were JB Hunt Transport Services Inc (NASDAQ: JBHT ) which was down 9.60% to 181.51 in late trade, Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC ) which lost 6.79% to settle at 265.84 and Old Dominion Freight Line Inc (NASDAQ: ODFL ) which was down 6.76% to 278.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (NASDAQ: CSSE ) which rose 43.80% to 11.49, Hudson Capital Inc (NASDAQ: HUSN ) which was up 36.27% to settle at 2.63 and Greenidge Generation Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: GREE ) which gained 33.95% to close at 11.52.
The worst performers were Sellas Life Sciences Group Inc (NASDAQ: SLS ) which was down 37.87% to 4.15 in late trade, Cyren Ltd (NASDAQ: CYRN ) which lost 36.04% to settle at 3.23 and Pulse Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: PLSE ) which was down 26.95% to 3.55 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2153 to 1050 and 119 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2200 rose and 1611 declined, while 217 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.52% to 19.63.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.38% or 26.90 to $1,922.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.75% or 0.75 to hit $99.53 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.13% or 0.14 to trade at $104.57 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.13% to 1.11, while USD/JPY rose 0.69% to 122.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.17% at 98.53.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.