U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.41%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Utilities , Healthcare and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.41%, while the S&P 500 index added 0.56%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.31%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which rose 2.12% or 4.93 points to trade at 238.03 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 2.04% or 2.93 points to end at 146.72 and Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) was up 1.64% or 0.98 points to 60.90 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 1.83% or 2.98 points to trade at 159.78 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 1.83% or 1.75 points to end at 94.08 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 1.52% or 1.93 points to 124.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which rose 5.91% to 84.39, KeyCorp (NYSE: KEY ) which was up 5.24% to settle at 11.86 and Intuitive Surgical Inc (NASDAQ: ISRG ) which gained 4.89% to close at 256.42.
The worst performers were Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which was down 4.92% to 485.40 in late trade, Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which lost 4.24% to settle at 195.99 and Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which was down 4.11% to 502.06 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Greenbrook TMS Inc (NASDAQ: GBNH ) which rose 106.00% to 1.03, Virgin Orbit Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: VORB ) which was up 50.06% to settle at 0.80 and Virios Therapeutics Llc (NASDAQ: VIRI ) which gained 43.55% to close at 0.44.
The worst performers were Allarity Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ALLR ) which was down 31.95% to 0.08 in late trade, Hyzon Motors Inc (NASDAQ: HYZN ) which lost 26.99% to settle at 0.73 and Summit Healthcare Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: YS ) which was down 26.31% to 4.79 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1862 to 1133 and 116 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2012 rose and 1543 declined, while 189 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.85% to 21.74.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.75% or 14.90 to $1,981.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 1.09% or 0.76 to hit $69.20 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 1.25% or 0.95 to trade at $74.96 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.65% to 1.08, while USD/JPY fell 0.09% to 130.70.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.56% at 102.78.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or