U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.43%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Technology , Basic Materials and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.43%, while the S&P 500 index added 0.74%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 1.67%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 3.26% or 1.39 points to trade at 44.00 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 2.37% or 1.83 points to end at 78.93 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 2.37% or 8.78 points to 379.24 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 2.04% or 3.55 points to trade at 170.21 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 2.02% or 1.02 points to end at 49.57 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 1.65% or 0.67 points to 39.84.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which rose 5.28% to 106.85, Weyerhaeuser Company (NYSE: WY ) which was up 5.25% to settle at 27.48 and Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which gained 5.09% to close at 286.19.
The worst performers were Hasbro Inc (NASDAQ: HAS ) which was down 7.41% to 71.84 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 7.09% to settle at 13.75 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 6.95% to 13.38 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Wilhelmina (NASDAQ: WHLM ) which rose 108.84% to 7.80, MediciNova Inc (NASDAQ: MNOV ) which was up 95.04% to settle at 11.00 and Histogenics Corp (NASDAQ: OCGN ) which gained 66.62% to close at 0.6280.
The worst performers were WiMi Hologram Cloud Inc (NASDAQ: WIMI ) which was down 34.97% to 7.29 in late trade, Ascena Retail Group Inc (NASDAQ: ASNA ) which lost 33.33% to settle at 0.86 and Professional Diversity Network Inc (NASDAQ: IPDN ) which was down 31.09% to 1.3300 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1838 to 1234 and 67 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1637 rose and 1169 declined, while 52 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.26% to 24.74.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 2.11% or 40.10 to $1937.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.87% or 0.36 to hit $41.65 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.07% or 0.03 to trade at $43.98 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1752, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 105.39.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.82% at 93.610.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or