U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.49%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Consumer Goods , Basic Materials and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.49% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index added 0.58%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.84%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which rose 2.69% or 4.03 points to trade at 153.70 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.62% or 4.38 points to end at 273.97 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 1.55% or 2.14 points to 140.48 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 2.07% or 4.67 points to trade at 221.20 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 0.92% or 0.47 points to end at 50.65 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 0.85% or 1.02 points to 119.65.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which rose 7.70% to 19.02, Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which was up 7.62% to settle at 79.95 and Accenture plc (NYSE: ACN ) which gained 6.87% to close at 264.44.
The worst performers were Marathon Petroleum Corp (NYSE: MPC ) which was down 2.59% to 40.57 in late trade, Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc (NYSE: HII ) which lost 2.38% to settle at 170.47 and AT&T Inc (NYSE: T ) which was down 2.25% to 29.61 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Mingzhu Logistics Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: YGMZ ) which rose 310.89% to 16.60, NXT-ID Inc (NASDAQ: NXTD ) which was up 53.68% to settle at 1.4200 and Avenue Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ATXI ) which gained 48.24% to close at 5.47.
The worst performers were Triterras Inc (NASDAQ: TRIT ) which was down 31.29% to 9.07 in late trade, Biocardia Inc (NASDAQ: BCDA ) which lost 26.10% to settle at 4.29 and Mediaco Holding Inc (NASDAQ: MDIA ) which was down 20.97% to 2.85 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2012 to 1080 and 80 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1989 rose and 999 declined, while 89 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.53% to 21.93.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 1.73% or 32.25 to $1891.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.34% or 0.64 to hit $48.46 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.94% or 0.48 to trade at $51.56 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.59% to 1.2268, while USD/JPY fell 0.35% to 103.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.72% at 89.705.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or