The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 2.42% or 2.41 points to trade at 101.92 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 2.13% or 7.66 points to end at 366.53 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 1.68% or 4.93 points to 297.60 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 1.37% or 1.66 points to trade at 119.41 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 1.29% or 0.72 points to end at 54.94 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) shed 1.03% or 0.34 points to 32.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mohawk Industries Inc (NYSE: MHK ) which rose 12.64% to 103.88, TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was up 10.62% to settle at 20.11 and Sysco Corporation (NYSE: SYY ) which gained 5.96% to close at 58.28.
The worst performers were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 6.17% to 14.00 in late trade, Cboe Global Markets Inc (NYSE: CBOE ) which lost 4.29% to settle at 95.76 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 4.06% to 137.07 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Translate Bio Inc (NASDAQ: TBIO ) which rose 46.98% to 23.87, Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INO ) which was up 40.98% to settle at 21.57 and Seanergy Maritime Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: SHIP ) which gained 40.07% to close at 0.2800.
The worst performers were Sunesis Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SNSS ) which was down 43.01% to 0.3542 in late trade, MER Telemanagement Solutions Ltd (NASDAQ: MTSL ) which lost 34.48% to settle at 1.330 and SINTX Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SINT ) which was down 29.35% to 1.420 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1626 to 1213 and 90 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1394 rose and 1305 declined, while 69 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.26% to 31.37.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 1.00% or 17.65 to $1784.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 1.79% or 0.73 to hit $40.00 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.05% or 0.02 to trade at $42.34 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1311, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 106.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.35% at 96.645.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.